Monday, January 25, 2010

Want to hear some stories of my heart?

I want to tell you all so many things! I haven't written a personal post since 2010 began, and lots has been revealed to me from inside my heart since this year began. I held back from writing because I had a lot to say, but the amount keeps growing so I suppose now is the time to unleash some of it out to the masses (that's ya'll out there reading this :) ).

We went to the farm, stayed for about 10 days, did not enjoy our time there for many reasons, which we have shared with some of you, (and if you want to know more just ask), so we came back up the mountains to Mcleodganj. The farm brought deep discomfort into our hearts and a lot of internal things got stirred up. In short, we were both made sharply aware that India was not a pleasant place for us to be, and that the things we deeply desire and love are not here. At first we both questioned if this was a time to practice patience, an opportunity to be with an experience new and difficult and just see where it led. Neither of us wanted to admit to ourselves that we did not want to be here, in India.

I prayed for clarity in my heart, to know what my heart was saying and my heart spoke louder. It said to leave the farm. It said I was not going to find the root and meaning of Yoga in India. It said that just because I wanted to come here for so long did not mean I had to stay here. My heart said "listen to me, follow me, but it may not be easy and pretty". This was a painful discovery, to come across the world only to see that all I want I already have, and that the community of Boone really nurtures me in ways that other places cannot. Neither Phillip or I expected to come here and not like it, but we both felt the same way (thankfully). Yoga is in my heart, the roots and gold of yoga are in me. I have to grow this, feed this ... it cannot be found outside of me. And for Phillip, music is in his heart, is his heart. We both have our jewels already. We knew this, but we didn't know it at the same time. Traveling across the world has made it crystal clear.

So, in order to be true to our hearts calling, we will not stay in India as long as we planned. We will make the most of our time here, and learn what we need to learn, enjoy ourselves and also try to do some things that are meaningful not only to us, but for all beings. But we will be seeing you all sooner than later.

We have been in Dharamsala for a month now and it is a good place for us. We have an apartment here so we can cook our own food, wash clothes, and live at our own pace. There are more Tibetans than Indians here, which is nice really! There is a whole different vibe to this town because of the Buddhist influence, and just the fact that these people live in exile from their homeland.

We have made friends with many Tibetans and gotten to learn a lot about their individual stories. All of them inspire me to see the best in all situations, always be thankful, and remain in the present moment. One new friend, Ludup, is a 29 year old Tibetan. He has lived here for 13 years and has a beautiful outlook on life. He lives in the present and is smiling most of the time. He inspires me in his ability to more forward with his life, as he is very modern in his approach to helping Tibet. He won an essay contest about environmental activism and asked Phillip and I to help him edit the English translation of the paper. I was blown away by the paper. It was intelligent and talked about the necessity to preserve Tibet's land, how it is a treasure chest of clear water sources, forests and minerals like no other place in the world. He pointed out the need for other countries to put pressure on China to preserve, not exploit this land, and he also put pressure on Tibetans to take responsibility for protecting their land in what ever way they can. He talked about the inter-connection between all lands and all beings. I hope to put some of his work up on the blog so you all can read and be inspired too!

We are also teaching English to a group of Tibetans. The group is half and half men and women. This is a great chance for us to be tested on our own knowledge of English grammar, but even better it is a amazing opportunity to learn from others. We make simple sentences and have fun doing it. Like any teaching situation I have ever been in, I feel I learn more from my students than I am teaching them. I guess really the learning is just a big circle with every one being equal parts teacher and student. I am happy to be doing this.

We have gone to 2 pujas since being here. I think they happen once a month in Dharamsala, as long as the Dalai Lama is in town. The first was a puja for the Panchen Lama (he was kidnapped by the Chinese 10 years ago) and this last one was to wish the Dalai Lama a long life. Both happen inside of the beautiful, bright main temple in town. The ceremonies are completely in Tibetan and an elaborate display of Tibetan rituals. This last time we had great seats where we could see the Dalai Lama the whole time. He sits up on a throne-like chair, covered in shiny yellow and red cloth. Most of the time is spent chanting, I don't understand a word of it, but am happy to be there anyways. People around us do prostrations and hold mudras that neither of us know. We smile and just sit in the present, soaking in the tradition and devotion. Monks come around and give every one butter tea (not my cup of tea, so to speak) and sweet rice. Offerings are made of cookies, tibetan breads, fruit, statues, scarves, instruments, traditional hats and chocolates! The offerings are presented to Dalai Lama, he blesses them, and then they are each taken to the different monasteries in this town. On both experiences we have gotten to see the Dalai Lama within 5 feet, a cool experience to be around a world-renowned spiritual teacher. This has been the stimulus for lots of conversations between Phillip and I about spirituality and the potential in each human being!

Having a travel partner allows us to do so much more outward processing of situations and feelings than being alone. Everyday, I am thankful for my partner. Traveling together is so different than traveling by alone, and of course we are in the closest of quarters I have ever spent with some one. We support each other, learning each day how to be better communicators. We crack each other up every day. We laugh hysterically until our faces and bellies hurt. There is lots of farting...

I love all of ya'll in the USA. Thank you for sending love and support across the ocean and land to us here in India. I hold you all in my heart and pray for your happiness everyday!

4 comments:

  1. Hey travelers....loved reading this last post. I am so happy that you have each other during this time of adventure and enlightenment about what is truly important to you both. LOVE! M

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all love you so much...You inspire me, you bring tears to my eyes and warmth to my heart. Thank you for sharing a piece of your heart with us. You are a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for listening kel and mom and everyone else out there! thanks for giving me space, encouraging and wanting me to be me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is really powerful. I am so glad that you both are having this wonderful experience, albeit hard at times. And I am glad that you have each other to share it with. Peace and love to you both, now and in the future. May your hearts and minds continue to be open and may you find peacefulness there in Dharamsala. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete