Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Que Sera, Sera

So in my last post I was talking about the trains and didn't even mention the train-bathroom situation, which I will continue to spare you all. I did mention that it was a great place to read .. on this last ride I had the opportunity to read a whole book which happened (in conjunction with some honest thoughts shared by friends and family, and some personal work in my own heart) to aid in a shift of my perspective on this trip. The book is "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coehlo and the message is basically that a journey takes you places that you never intend to go when you set out on the journey, but you go and you learn and because of it all you are never the same. It is about following through with a dream even, and especially, when times are difficult and the goal may appear to be lost.

I was reminded through this reading, through talking with Phillip, through making some friends in Kodaikanal and my reading my aunts words ("maybe your prefer the absurdity of traveling in India to the absurdity of not") that I can travel the world and learn about her peoples, but that doesn't mean I have to like all I see. I realized this and suddenly felt completely content in the cramped berth of our 44 hour train ride.

Now we are here in Mcleodganj with the Dhauladar mountains looming behind us, showing their icy white teeth at the sky. It is cold here and the town is a little escape from the intensity that is India. It is more of a Tibetan town with monks all over the streets. There is no shortage of good food here, our favorite place is a japanese restaurant whose proceeds all go to support ex-political prisoners from Tibet. And we can drink lemon ginger honey tea all day! And I can practice yoga on our roof top terrace!

There are lots of opportunities to volunteer here that all sound interesting ... teaching english, babysitting, working in shop that sells refugee-made goods ... but they are open to long term visitors. It is nice to know we have these potentially meaningful options if we want to come back here after farming. We will stay for a few more days and then go to Dharamsala, about 12 km lower than here, to WWOOF for the next 2 months or so.

Tomorrow we will go hear the Dalai Lama speak in the early morning at the main Buddhist temple here. I think it is a puja for the tenth Panchen Lama but am not totally sure. We visited there today and walked around, saw a glorious sun set and turned the "Mani" prayer wheels in the temple.

Pictures to come soon (hopefully ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment